justice, equity, diversity, & inclusion policy
At IFAW, we aim to create and foster a workforce that reflects and contributes to the diverse, global community in which we work to improve the lives of both animals and people.
In our global organization, each person offers a unique set of ideas, beliefs, and skills. We value these qualities, experiences, and work styles, and recognize the diverse cultural, legal, societal, political, and religious environments in which we work as we implement projects around the world. We consider this diversity to be our most important resource—helping us connect people and the communities in which we operate.
We believe our core values and mission are strengthened when all members have a voice and are encouraged to contribute in a supportive space. Therefore, we take a collective responsibility to create an environment where everyone feels included, respected, and comfortable to bring their whole self to work. It the collective responsibility of IFAW leadership, management, and staff to ensure IFAW operates with good intent and practice.
As the societal definition of diversity is constantly evolving, we are dedicated to fostering justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI). At IFAW, justice seeks to dismantle the barriers to opportunities and systemic disadvantages to people’s ability to access resources and opportunities. Equity ensures everyone has access to the same opportunities and resources so that there is an equal opportunity to thrive. Diversity encompasses the differences among us based on what we experience or encounter in access to opportunities and resources. Inclusion means fostering respect and a team spirit in the workplace and embracing and amplifying the multicultural perspectives, voices, and essence of IFAW.
To further reinforce an inclusive culture and foster JEDI principles, IFAW is committed to:
• Ensuring an inclusive working environment free of discrimination at all stages of the employment life cycle
• Developing plans to promote JEDI principles and cultural competencies among staff across IFAW and advance a vision to target underserved populations in animal welfare and conservation
• Creating and maintaining opportunities for engagement, education, and discourse related to issues of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
• Striving to build and support a community whose members have diverse cultures, backgrounds, and life experiences
• Ensuring our leaders are role models for diversity and building an inclusive culture
• Reviewing measurable objectives and actively monitoring progress on an annual basis
• Continually review for bias within policies and practices across the organization
our work can’t get done without you. please give what you can to help animals thrive.