The nominations process opens on May 5, 2023 and will close at 5:00 pm GMT on June 16, 2023. All nominations must be submitted electronically on the IFAW website; please visit 2023 Animal Action Awards Nomination Form. Any individual 18 years of age or over can submit a nomination for an organization or individual 18 years of age or over who they deem to make extraordinary contributions towards animal conservation, rescue, welfare, or people and animals thriving together. Nominations may also be submitted for service animals or pets deemed to be extraordinary. No donation, purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to nominate or win.
If you enter or nominate an organization or individual for the Animal Action Awards through this Website, then you agree to and are bound by the following rules:
- To enter or nominate, the organization, individual or animal cannot reside or be located in a Sanctioned Area* nor be named on Specially Designated Nationals lists as updated from time to time (see below for further details).
- To enter or nominate, you must be 18 years of age or older.
- Employees (or members of their immediate families, or their affiliates) of the International Fund for Animal Welfare may not be nominated for this Award.
- Sending an e-mail is not proof that we have received your nomination submission. No responsibility can be accepted for nominations that are lost or delayed, or which are not received for any reason.
- Incorrectly completed submissions will be disqualified.
- The closing date is 5:00 pm GMT on June 16, 2023, and we reserve the right to amend the end date at any time. If you are a winner, we will notify you as specified below. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can view winners of the 2023 Animal Action Awards by visiting the IFAW website after the Animal Action Awards ceremony held on October 18, 2023.
- We reserve the right to amend or update these rules at any time to comply with law or meet changing business requirements without notice to you. We may also create rules which will apply to a specific category only. If so, we will publish the amended or updated rules and/or specific Animal Action Awards rules on the applicable IFAW website.
- IFAW reserves the right to reject any entry if, in their sole discretion, the laws of an applicable jurisdiction, including but not limited to the nominee’s jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry, would prohibit or limit IFAW from proceeding with the Animal Action Awards as intended or the consideration or awarding of any prize would impose additional administrative, tax, operational, financial or legal burdens on IFAW.
*Individuals or organizations residing, working or registered in Belarus, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Burma/Myanmar, Russia, or the Crimea, Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions of Ukraine, or other sanction-sensitive countries or regions as updated from time to time.
ENTRIES WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED WHERE PROHIBITED OR INELIGIBLE UNDER THESE RULES AND WILL BE CONSIDERED VOID.
Adjudication and selection process for winners
All nominations received via the IFAW website submission form prior to the June 16, 2023, 5:00 pm GMT close of nominations will be reviewed by a review committee comprised of IFAW staff members. The nominees found to excel at any of the following categories will be moved onto the shortlist for additional research and due diligence:
- Demonstrated courage and resolve in helping animals in a disaster
- Used technology in an innovative way to support animal rescue or conservation
- Helped preserve spaces for wildlife and their habitats
- Shown commitment as a child or teenager to animal conservation or rescue
- Gone the extra mile in any other way in their work and care for animals
- An animal that has made a huge contribution to helping people or other animals
Finalists will be reviewed by a judging panel selected in advance and comprised of IFAW staff and Executive team members. The finalists deemed to have made the most significant contributions to animal conservation, rescue, welfare, or to animals and people thriving together will be selected as the winners. Six (6) winners will be selected and will receive a trip to London to attend a celebratory awards ceremony.
Notification to winners
Winners will be notified via email address by September 1, 2023 and must respond within seven (7) days in order to reserve their spot at the awards ceremony and claim their award.
Awards and covered expenses for winners
Each award winner will attend the Animal Action Awards ceremony in London, United Kingdom on October 18, 2023, where they will receive the cash award equivalent of GBP 1,000 in their local currency, to be used however they see fit. IFAW will cover the following expenses for each winner to travel to London and attend the October 18, 2023 awards ceremony:
- Round trip, economy class airfare from their home airport / railway station or mileage in the UK (at a rate of 45p per mile)
- Transportation via Uber, Black Cab, or public transportation to and from their home airport / railway station
- Any UK visitor Visa Service fees required for travel to London
- Accommodation in a hotel of IFAW’s choice to be determined, in close proximity to the awards venue, for the nights of October 17 and 18, 2023
- Transportation between the airport and London hotel
- All meals consumed during travel and the London stay, not to exceed 100 pounds per day, or the equivalent amount in their local currency using the current exchange website Oanda for the daily rate on sending funds
The above expenses will be covered for the award winners only. While award winners are welcome to bring a guest, IFAW will not cover any guest expenses. Award winner airfare and hotel will be booked and paid for by IFAW, and the GBP100 per day meal allowance will be deposited into winners’ bank accounts following the trip. Other expenses listed above will be paid by the award winner and reimbursed by IFAW within a thirty (30) day period after the submission of receipts. Any additional expenses incurred will be paid by the award winner, not subject to reimbursement by IFAW. The cash award will not be transferable to another person.
Privacy notice: how personal data will be processed in respect of the award
IFAW collects data on short-listed nominees including contact name, emails, telephone numbers, addresses and details of their work in animal welfare and conservation for the purpose of administering the awards process. We also share details of that work on social media and with relevant regional and national press for each winner. We collect bank account details for refunding of per diems and travel costs.
IFAW also retains contact names, emails and telephone numbers of those who have nominated winners for the duration of the awards nomination process and for one (1) year after the event.
Expectation of award promotion
When a nominee accepts an Animal Action Award, they consent to IFAW promoting the story of their work with animals via traditional and social media channels. They also consent to having photos and videos taken of themselves at the awards ceremony and used in these channels. Winners are expected to attend the awards ceremony and also agree to speak with any media onsite. There may be other requirements of working with the media, such as, if appropriate, allowing journalists to visit them where they operate, doing remote interviews, attending media studios or helping to source ad hoc information in relation to their work. Winners would be expected to respond within a reasonable timeframe and cooperate in facilitating such requests.
IFAW is not responsible for the personal safety of award winners (or their guests) during their travel to and from London, or during their stay in London for the awards ceremony. IFAW and its affiliates or subsidiaries, their respective members, shareholders, trustees, officers, directors, agents, employees or representatives shall not be liable for any losses, costs, taxes, fees, damages, claims, expenses, or other liabilities not expressly stated in these Terms and Conditions arising with respect to the award, receipt, possession and/or use or misuse of the award, any travel related thereto, including without limitation, personal injury, death, and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, privacy or defamation. It is expressly understood that IFAW, by making this award, has no obligation to provide other or additional support to the winner for the purposes of this award or any other purpose.
Relationship of the parties
Nothing in these Terms and Conditions or with respect to the award, nominees or winners shall be construed to create a relationship between the parties of independent contractor, employee, agency, partnership, or joint ventures, nor to render either party liable for any debts or obligations incurred by the other. Neither party is authorized to make representations on behalf of the other, or to bind the other in any manner whatsoever.
These Terms and Conditions, and any disputes arising under it, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. The parties agree that any disputes will be submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.