Last updated on: 29 March 2021
For the purposes for which we collect personal information, it is not practicable to allow you to deal with us on an anonymous or pseudonymous basis. Therefore, we will seek the personal information identified below.
IFAW collects personal information, which may include:
- your full name;
- your postal or residential address;
- your contact details, including your telephone number, mobile telephone number and/or current and valid email address;
- your IFAW Supporter Number;
- your bank or credit card information;
- your registered Wildlife Carer details;
- your donation history;
- your more detailed contact preferences, demographic information (which may include, but is not limited to, your age, date of birth, marital status, number of children and wealth range), information regarding your professional interests and information about your experience with our programs and campaigns. This information is requested in order to tailor our subsequent communications to you and continuously improve our programs;
- the contact details of third parties. If you are asked to provide details about other people, please ensure that these individuals are happy for their details to be given to IFAW and used for the purposes set out in this policy (which may include using their details for marketing purposes); and/or
We will only collect sensitive information where provided by you with your consent. Where you provide us with any sensitive information (such as religious affiliations, personal motivations, health and medical information, philosophical beliefs and testamentary information about your intentions), we will only use this information to serve your particular need.
Personal information may be collected (and combined) via our Collection Channels if you:
- sign-up and/or register to become a member or supporter on any Collection Channel;
- make a donation via a Collection Channel;
- subscribe to any newsletters, updates, alerts or news and media releases, or request event information or information about our programs and campaigns;
- complete and submit any forms to us (including donation forms), either physically or electronically;
- let us know that you have left a gift in your will to IFAW;
- contact us directly in person or via any medium including mail, telephone, social media and commercial electronic messages (SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Message Service), IM (Instant Messaging) and email), including via the contact details listed on a Website;
- participate in any offers, promotions or marketing activities;
- donate or fundraise using Facebook Donate and consent for your details to be shared;
- respond to an Ad on social media e.g. Facebook and sign up for future contact;
- interact with a Website for a specific purpose; and/or
- interact with or browse a Website generally.
Personal information is requested in order to facilitate or provide you with information about our programs and campaigns (including the uploading, access to, and receipt of content on a Website, and transactions undertaken on a Website), marketing materials, newsletters, electronic newsletters (e-newsletters), news and media releases, and also to advise you of other IFAW or third-party programs, offers, competitions or events which may be of interest.
We may also obtain your personal information from legitimate third-party sources including from the public domain, list brokers and other data providers or organisations that share data in circumstances where it is lawful and/or you have given permission for them to do so.
Personal information will not be collected by any person who is known by IFAW to be under the age of fifteen (15) without the consent of a parent or legal guardian. Persons under age fifteen (15) may only use our Websites and/or provide personal information with the involvement and consent of a parent or legal guardian.
As with many websites, we may also collect information which tells us about visitors to our Websites. For example, we may collect information about the date, time and duration of visits and which pages of a Website are most commonly accessed. This information is generally not linked to the identity of visitors, except where a Website is accessed via links in an email we have sent or where we are able to uniquely identify the device or user accessing a Website. By accessing a Website via links in an email we have sent and/or by accessing a Website generally, you consent to the collection of such information where it is personal information.
Our Websites may use and combine such passively collected anonymous information or personal information from various third-party sources, including as described above, to provide better service to Website visitors and users, customise a Website based on your preferences, compile and analyse statistics and trends, and otherwise administer and improve a Website for your use. We may combine your visitor session information or other information collected through tracking technologies with personally identifiable information from time to time in order to understand and measure your online experiences and to determine what information, programs and campaigns are likely to be of interest to you. By accessing a Website, you consent to information about you being collected, compiled and used in this way.
For more information about cookies and how you can opt out of cookies across websites other than IFAW’s website, you can visit http://www.youronlinechoices.com.au, http://networkadvertising.org/choices, or for those in Europe, the EDAA opt out site at http://youronlinechoices.eu.
Generally we will only use and disclose your personal information for the following primary purposes:
- to facilitate your support of IFAW and maintain our relationship with you, such as to process your donations and to provide receipts, communicate with you on a regular basis (including via social media), ask for your participation in our programs and campaigns, and provide you with updates on our programs and campaigns and how your gifts are helping;
- to establish and maintain your support for IFAW, including by providing you with newsletters (including via mail and electronic newsletters (e-newsletters)), quarterly magazines, annual reports and other information necessary to allow you to play an active role in IFAW via any means, including commercial electronic messages;
- to facilitate the transmission of your views on animal protection issues to government and other decision makers, if you have so requested when giving us your personal information;
- to share personal information with different departments within IFAW to enable the development of our programs and campaigns and to improve our interactions with supporters in general;
- to provide the content and information you have requested from IFAW, and to respond to your inquiries;
- to maintain the functionality of a Website, including the provision of information to you relating to the content available on the Website and e-commerce transactions conducted via the Website;
- to send you any technical, administrative or legal notices important to our Websites;
- to provide you with information about your donations (including uploading, access to, and receipt of content on a Website, and transactions undertaken on a Website), content, direct marketing materials, events, special offers, competitions and promotions in person and via any medium including mail, telephone and commercial electronic messages (SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service), IM (Instant Messaging), email) or any other form of electronic, emerging, digital or conventional communications channel;
- to improve Website and system administration, and to make our content, communications and information more valuable to our supporters;
- to obtain opinions or comments about content, programs or campaigns and to conduct other research and development;
- to record statistical data for marketing analysis and to conduct market research;
- to share personal information with IFAW affiliates, our promotional partners, list managers and brokers and other trusted third parties in the manner described below; to identify like-minded individuals in order for IFAW to market to them; including through third party vendors such as Facebook or other social media websites;
- to provide you with targeted advertising from IFAW when you browse third party websites and social media sites;
- to use profiling techniques to analyse your personal information and create a profile of your interests, preferences and ability to donate. This allows us to ensure communications are relevant and timely in order to provide an improved experience. It also helps us understand the background of our supporters so that we can make appropriate requests to those who may be willing and able to donate more than they already do or leave a gift in their will. This enables us to raise funds quicker and is more cost-effective. When building such a profile we may make use of additional information about you, including geo-demographic and biographical information and measures of affluence. Such information is compiled (either by IFAW or our suppliers) using publicly available data e.g. addresses, information available from public registers (such as listed Directorships), typical earnings in a geographical area, information from the electoral roll, press reports, internet searches and social media posts etc;
- for the purposes stated in a privacy collection statement on a particular Collection Channel.
For the purposes described above, personal information may be shared with IFAW affiliates, IFAW promotional partners and other trusted third parties (including other charities) (and their directors, servants and agents) either in Australia or overseas, including, but not limited to, in the USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, South Africa and other countries where we operate. IFAW participates in a number of cooperatives, where we share names, addresses and donation details with list managers and brokers, who may provide your information to other charities and organisations to contact you with marketing materials via direct mail.
In order to operate a Website or deliver a service (including for example, processing of credit card payments), personal information may also be shared with IFAW affiliates, selected service providers and/or other trusted third parties either in Australia or overseas countries which may include but are not limited to the USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium and South Africa. IFAW affiliates, selected service providers and/or other trusted third parties may be engaged by IFAW to perform a variety of functions, such as data storage, fulfilling orders, conducting market research, processing credit card payments, assisting with promotions and providing technical services for our Websites. These companies may have access to personal information if needed to perform such functions. Your credit card details are only used to facilitate your donation or other transaction undertaken via a Collection Channel. They are not used for any other purpose and will never be supplied to a third party other than the trusted parties for the purposes described above.
Your information may be shared with social media companies such as Facebook. IFAW occasionally participates in Facebook’s “Custom Audiences” and “Lookalike Audiences” which enables us to display adverts to our existing or potential supporters via Facebook or to suppress certain IFAW adverts from our existing supporters’ Facebook feeds e.g. an advert directed at signing a petition when you have already signed it. In order to do this we provide supporter names and email addresses to Facebook to enable them to determine if you are a registered account holder with Facebook. Your data is sent in an encrypted format that is deleted by Facebook if it does not match with a Facebook account. Depending on your social media profile settings our adverts may then appear when you access Facebook and on your Facebook feed, as well as on other third-party websites and applications. For more information please read the Facebook Business page about Custom Audiences and Facebook’s Data Policy.
You are not obliged to give us your personal information. However, if you choose not to provide IFAW with your personal details, such as your name, address, contact details or banking information, we may not be able to process your donation or provide you with the information that you require.
IFAW affiliates (and their directors, servants and agents), IFAW promotional partners or trusted third parties (and other selected service providers and other non-IFAW companies or professionals), either in Australia or overseas, may contact you via telephone, SMS (Short Message Service), MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service), IM (Instant Messaging), email, post or any other form of electronic, emerging, digital or conventional communications channel using the information provided in order to contact you in respect of the primary purposes for collection of personal information as stated above. This may include contacting you via social media if you are not one of our followers using the information on your record, such as your email address.
IFAW may provide areas on a Website where you can upload user-generated content, post or provide information about yourself, communicate with other users, provide reviews for content or programs or interact with or vote on particular content. This information may be shared with others and may be publicly posted on our Websites, including without limitation, other social media platforms and other public forums in which you choose to participate. This information may become publicly available and may be read, collected and used by others outside of our Websites. IFAW is not responsible for the conduct of others who may read, collect and use this information.
You can gain access to the personal information that IFAW holds about you. We will provide you with access to your personal information unless we are legally authorised to refuse your request.
If you wish to change personal information that is out of date or inaccurate at any time, please contact us. After notice from you, we will take reasonable steps to correct any of your information that may be inaccurate, incomplete or out of date. If you wish to have your personal information deleted, please let us know and we will delete that information wherever practicable.
We may refuse your request to access, amend or delete your personal information in certain circumstances. If we do refuse your request, we will provide you with a reason for our decision and, in the case of amendment, we will note with your personal information that you have disputed its accuracy.
To obtain access, you will have to provide proof of your identity. This is necessary to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and the privacy of others is not undermined.
We will take all reasonable steps to provide access within 30 days of your request. In cases where the request is not complicated or does not require access to a large volume of information, we will provide information within 14 days.
IFAW may impose a reasonable charge for photocopying, the delivery cost of information stored off-site (where information is stored off-site) or otherwise for the cost of obtaining access to the information.
We note that we are not responsible for removing your personal information from the lists of any third party who has previously been provided your information in accordance with this policy.
We will take all reasonable steps to protect the security of any personal information that we hold and to keep this information accurate and up to date. Personal information is stored in a secure server or secure files. This includes appropriate measures to protect electronic materials and materials stored and generated in hard copy. Our website (http://www.ifaw.org/au) uses 128-bit SSL encryption to secure and protect your credit card details.
As we are an international organisation, your personal information may reside in a database outside of Australia, for example, when we collect your personal information it will be transferred to, processed by and stored with our US entity - International Fund for Animal Welfare, Inc., a Massachusetts nonprofit corporation registered at 290 Summer St., Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts 02739, USA.. IFAW also sometimes sends personal information to the United Kingdom, Canada, France, Netherlands, Belgium, South Africa, Germany and other countries in which we operate for the purpose of preparing mailings. When we send personal information overseas, and the receiving countries do not have comparable privacy protection laws to those in effect in Australia, we will take all reasonable steps to make contractual arrangements that provide for privacy protection of the personal information that we send.
However, we note that security of communications over the Internet cannot be guaranteed, and therefore absolute assurance that information will be secure at all times cannot be given. IFAW will not be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to personal information. IFAW will inform you about serious data breaches in accordance with the Privacy Act.
In some cases, IFAW may disclose your personal information to overseas recipients, including but not limited to recipients in the USA, Canada, United Kingdom, South Africa, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and other countries in which we operate. IFAW employees, data processors and other trusted third parties are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by IFAW. When we send personal information overseas, and the receiving countries do not have comparable privacy protection laws to those in effect in Australia, we will take all reasonable steps to make contractual arrangements that provide for privacy protection of the personal information that we send.
Our Websites may, from time to time, contain links to the websites of other organisations which may be of interest to you. Their inclusion cannot be taken to imply any endorsement or validation by us of the content of the third-party website. Linked websites are responsible for their own privacy practices and you should check those websites for their respective privacy statements. IFAW is not responsible, nor does it accept any liability, for the conduct of companies linked to our Websites.
We may use third-party advertisements on our Websites. All third-party advertising, if paid for, is paid for by the relevant third-party advertisers and is not a recommendation or endorsement by IFAW or any of its affiliates. IFAW is not responsible for the content (including representations) of any third-party advertisement on a Website. Cookies may be associated with these advertisements to enable the advertiser to track the number of anonymous users responding to the campaign. We do not have access to or control of cookies placed by third parties.
Address: Privacy Officer
International Fund for Animal Welfare (Australia) Pty Ltd
Suite 302, Level 3, 418A Elizabeth Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010
Phone: +61 2 9288 4900
Please allow 30 days for your request to be processed. If you do not receive a satisfactory response from IFAW to your query, problem or complaint within 30 days, you may refer your query, problem or complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner via the contact details listed at http://www.oaic.gov.au/about-us/contact-us-page.