how to help wildlife during disasters
14 March 2022
We've collected a selection of helpful advice on how to assist wildlife during a disaster, as well as numbers to call for assistance.
If you are in NSW and find injured or displaced wildlife, please download and use the ifaw Wildlife Rescue App to be connected to the closest wildlife group or carer at the touch of a button.
what to do if you find wildlife during a disaster
If you find injured or displaced wildlife you should contact a local wildlife group or vet for assistance. Please follow these guidelines:
- Keep children and pets away from the animal.
- Cover and contain small animals and birds in a box lined with a towel.
- Keep the animal inside in a quiet place, allowing it to rest with no disturbance.
- Offer water by placing it in front and below them, never pour water from a bottle or other containers into an animal’s mouth.
- Do not try to feed the animal without prior advice.
- Do not attempt to handle snakes, flying-foxes or microbats.
Find more information in the Backyard Buddies Wildlife Rescue Handbook
flood assistance resources
- Find emergency management contact information on the DPI Flood Emergency website.
- The NSW Rural Fire Service are on the ground.
- To request advice or assistance for injured or displaced animals in NSW, please download the free ifaw Wildlife Rescue app. The app connects users with the nearest wildlife rescue groups or carers.
- Find information for how to help wildlife in emergencies on the NPWS Wildlife website.
- Many animals have been displaced during the floods, and cannot stay in evacuation centres. The RSPCA is asking those with the ability to foster an animal to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The AASFA active call center number - 1800 814 647 (farm and companion animals).
Other wildlife group contacts (or use the ifaw Wildlife Rescue app):
- Byron Bay Wildlife Hospital (Byron Bay and surrounds, NSW) - 1300 945 354
- Wildcare Australia Inc. (Logan, Goldcoast, Northern NSW and Surrounds) - 5527 2444
- Friends of the Koala Inc. (Northern Rivers, NSW) - 66221233
- Hunter Wildlife – 0418 628483
- Australian Seabird Rescue (North Coast - 0428 862 852 / Central Coast - 0428 862 676 / South Coast - 0431 282 238)
Other wildlife group contacts:
- RSPCA - 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625)
- Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary(Currumbin, Qld) - 5534 0813
- Queensland Koala Society Inc (Brisbane Southside, Qld) - 0419 709 639
- Moreton Bay Koala Rescue (Brisbane Northside and Moreton Shire, Qld) - 0401 080 333
- Koala Rescue Queensland Inc (Moreton Bay Region, Sunshine Coast and Hinterlands,Qld) - 0431 300 729
- Anarra Wildlife Rescue Gympie (Gympie and Surrounds, Qld) - 5484 9111
- IKPS - Ipswich Koala Protection Society (Ipswich and Surrounds, Qld) - 0419 760 127
- WRREA - Wildlife Rescue (Murphy’s Creek, Toowoomba and Surrounds, Qld) - 0407 028 540
- Wildlife Rescue Queensland (Moreton Bay, Brisbane North, Caboolture and Surrounds) - 0478 901 801
To be prepared for future emergencies, please download the ifaw Emergency Evacuation Planning kit
our work can’t get done without you. please give what you can to help animals thrive.
Unfortunately, the browser you use is outdated and does not allow you to display the site correctly. Please install any of the modern browsers, for example: