Vivek is an Advisor and Director for IFAW, as well as founder, Executive Director and CEO of the Wildlife Trust of India. A wildlife conservationist, environmental commentator, author and photographer with a passion for elephants, he has been involved in founding five environmental & conservation organizations in India.
He is the author or editor of eight wildlife books including the bestselling Field Guide to Mammals of India, scores of technical reports and more than a hundred articles in various scientific and popular publications.
Through WTI/IFAW, Vivek has pioneered the systematic development of wildlife rehabilitation and health monitoring as conservation tools within India. Under Vivek’s leadership, more than 7,000 wildlife guards, a third of India’s anti-poaching force, have been equipped and trained to safeguard wildlife in 100 protected areas. Working closely with the Indian government, Vivek’s IFAW/WTI team has also been instrumental in establishing wildlife corridors to help connect fragmented populations of endangered species, including tigers and elephants. They involve local communities in efforts to mitigate human-animal conflict in villages in close proximity to important wildlife habitat.
Since establishing the first wildlife rehabilitation centres in India, Vivek has led efforts to use rehabilitated animals to restock parks where poaching has decimated wildlife. As part of this ongoing effort, Vivek was instrumental in the development of Greater Manas, tripling the land area in this World Heritage site, which includes a tiger reserve and elephant corridor, rebuilding an area heavily impacted by civil unrest and poaching.
Vivek serves on a number of governmental and non-governmental boards and committees, most recently as a member of the Elephant Task Force of the Ministry of Environment and Forests that suggested a complete revamp of India’s elephant conservation strategy.
In an Honorary capacity, Menon is a member of the Species Survival Commission of the IUCN, on the International Jury of the Future for Nature Awards, an advisor of the Marjan centre of Kings College, London and a Faculty of the Kerulos Centre, Oregon.
Advisor, Marjan Center, Kings College, UK
Honorary Member, Species Survival Commission, IUCN
Honorary Member, International Jury of the Future for Nature Awards
Honorary Faculty Member, Kerulos Center, Oregon, USA
Member, Elephant Task Force, Ministry of Environment and Forests, India
Winner, Rufford for International Conservation for work on saving the Asian elephant
Bachelor of Science (BSc, Hons) Zoology, Delhi University
PG Diploma, Ecology and Environment, Delhi
- Menon. V. (2003) A Field Guide to Indian Mammals, Penguin India, New Delhi
- Menon. V. & M. Sakamoto (2002) (Eds.) Heaven and Earth and I: Ethics of Nature Conservation in Asia, Penguin India, New Delhi
- Menon. V. (2002) Tusker: The Story of the Asian Elephant, Penguin India, New Delhi.
- Menon. V. (1999) On the Brink: Travels through Wild India, Penguin India, New Delhi
- Menon. V. & A. Kumar (1998) Wildlife Crime, An Enforcement Guide, Wildlife Protection Society of India and Natraj Publishers, Dehradun
- Lavigne.D, Cox.R.K, Menon.V and Wamithi.M (2006) Reinventing Wildlife Conservation for the 21st Century in Gaining Ground, In Pursuit of Ecological Sustainability, IFAW (Guelph) and University of Limerick, Ireland
- Menon.V and Lavigne.D (2006) Attitudes, Values and Objecitves: Real basis of Wildife Conservation in Gaining Ground, In Pursuit of Ecological Sustainability, IFAW (Guelph) and University of Limerick, Ireland
- Kumar.A and Menon.V (2006) Ivory Tower Sustainability: An examination of the ivory trade in Gaining Ground, In Pursuit of Ecological Sustainability, IFAW (Guelph) and University of Limerick, Ireland
- Menon. V (1996), Impact of Trade on Himalayan Bio-diversity In Changing Perspectives of Bio-diversity Status in the Himalayas, British Council Division, New Delhi.
- Malik.I & Menon. V (1992), A Management Plan for the Rhesus Population of India In Primates of the World Ed. Fa, J.E.
Selected Journal Articles and Scientific Reports
- Rangarajan.M, Desai.A, Sukumar.R, Easa.PS, Menon.V, Vincent.S, Ganguly.S, Talkdar.BK, Singh.B, Mudappa.D, Chowdhary,S, Prasad AN (2010) Gajah: Securing the Future for Elephants in India, The Report of the Elephant Task Force, Monistry of Environment and Forests, India
- Menon, V, Easa PS and Johnsingh AJT (2010) Securing the Chilla Motichur Corridor to protect the elephants of Rajaji National Park, Occasional Report No 10, Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Kaul.R, Tiwari.S.K, Dutta.R and Menon.V (Eds) (2010) Canopies and Corridors, Conserving the forest of Garo Hills with elephant and gibbon as flagships, Conservation Reference Series No 8, Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Chaudhury.R.G, Joshi.D, Mookerjee, A, Talwar.V and Menon.V (2008) Turning the Tide, The Campaign to save Vhali, the whale shark (Rhincodon typus) in Gujarat, Conservation Action Series 20050904, Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Menon.V, Kaul.R, Dutta.R, Ashraf.N.V.K and Sarkar.P (Eds) (2008) Bringing Back Manas, Conserving the forest and wildlife of the Bodoland Territorial Council, Conservation Reference Series No 7, Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Varma.S, Sarkar.P and Menon.V (2008) Pakke Pachyderms,Ecology and Conservation of Asian Elephants in Kameng Elephant Reserve, Arunachal Pradesh, Conservation Reference Series No 6, Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Sarma.U.K, Easa.P.S and Menon.V (2008) Deadly tracks, A Scientific approach to understanding and mitigating elephant mortality due to train hits in Assam, Occasional report No.24 Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Gureja.N, Menon.V, Sarkar.P and Kyarong, S.S (2007) Ganesha to Bin Laden, Human-Elephant Conflict in Sonitpur District of Assam, Occasional Report No.6, Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Singh.A.K, Kumar.A, Mookerjee.A and Menon.V (2007) Jumbo Express, A Scientific Approach to Understanding and Mitigating Elephant Mortality due to Train Accidents in Rajaji National Park, Occasional report No.3, Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Kaul.R and Menon.V (Eds) (2005) The Ground Beneath the Waves, Post-Tsunami Impact Assessment of Wildlife and their habitats in India, Conservation Action Series 20050904, Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Menon.V, Tiwari.S.K, Easa.P.S and Sukumar.R (Eds) (2005) Right of Passage, Elephant Corridors of India, Conservation Reference Series No 3, Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Menon.V, Ashraf.N.V.K, Panda.P and Mainkar.K( Eds) (2005) Back to the Wild, Studies in Wildlife Rehabilitation, Conservation Reference Series No 2, Wildlife Trust of India, New Delhi
- Menon.V, Sukumar.R and Kumar.A (1997), A God in Distress: Threats of Poaching and the Ivory Trade to the Asian Elephant in India, Asian Elephant Conservation Centre and Wildlife Protection Society of India
- Menon. V (1996), Under Siege: Poaching and protection of the Greater One-horned Rhinoceros in India, Species in Danger Series, WWF-UK/TRAFFIC-International
- Menon. V et al (1994), Wildlife Trade : Handbook for Enforcement Staff, TRAFFIC-India.WWF-India
- Malik. I & Menon. V (Eds), (1993), Identification Manual for Indian Wildlife Species and Derivatives in Trade, TRAFFIC-India for Ministry of Environment & Forests, Government of India.
- Raman.L, Lal. S & Menon. V (Eds) (1992), White Gold, The Ivory Trade, A Briefing Document, TRAFFIC-India.
- Van Gruisen. J & Sinclair. T (1992) Menon. V & Raman. L (Eds.), Fur Trade in Kathmandu, Implications for India. TRAFFIC-India, WWF-India.
- Menon. V. & R. Singh (1992), Birds & Animals Quiz Book, Pustak Mahal, New Delhi.
- Menon. V. (2007), Lions, Ladybird Books, Penguin
- Menon. V. (2007), Life in the Forest, Ladybird Books, Penguin
(Complete list of publications available on request)