As President and CEO, Azzedine Downes is responsible for IFAW's day-to-day-operations. Azzedine oversaw both the Programmes Team and International Operations in his previous role as IFAW's Executive Vice President, coordinating these key areas to maximize IFAW’s global impact on animal issues in more than forty countries. He has made significant contributions to the development of management systems within the organisation, paving the way for improved functioning throughout IFAW’s increasing global range.
Under Azzedine’s leadership, IFAW opened its first office in the Middle East and expanded its work on global animal conservation and welfare issues. He was responsible for designing and launching IFAW’s Prevention of Wildlife Trafficking (Wildlife Law Enforcement) programme, which provides ongoing training and support for law enforcement and customs officials faced with growing illegal trade issues. Azzedine spearheaded the expansion of IFAW’s Tiger Team work into Bhutan and South Asia, expanding and strengthening protection for tigers in their range states.
Azzedine has served as Head of the Delegation to the CITES Conference of the Parties, leading campaigns to reduce and restrict negative impacts of wildlife trade. His programme teams also provide direct assistance to wildlife and domestic animals through the Emergency Relief and Companion Animals Programmes.
Azzedine is committed to finding solutions to the problems facing wildlife and companion animals in today’s complex world by combining good science, sound animal welfare concepts and culturally appropriate solutions.
- Middle East Regional Director, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Oversight of Public Affairs Department, IFAW Headquarters
- Oversight of Online Campaigning and Marketing, IFAW Headquarters
- Chief of Party, AMIDEAST, Morocco
- Director, AMIDEAST, Inc.,USAID funded International Development Project, West Bank and Gaza Strip
- Chief of Operations, Eurasia and Middle East Region, Peace Corps
- Chief Administrative Officer, Eurasia and Middle East Region, Peace Corps
- Country Director, Peace Corps, Bulgaria
- Associate Director, Peace Corps, Yemen
- Research Assistant, Harvard Institute for International Development, USA
- Consultant, Training Design, Morocco, Mauritania, Niger, Comoros Islands
- Marketing Representative, Global Industries, USA
- Master’s Degree, Administration, Planning and Social Policy, Harvard University
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), French Language, Providence College, USA
- (2 years at University of Fribourg, Switzerland)