Wildlife trade photos & video
Wildlife trade experts
The dangers of wildlife trade
The global wildlife trade, legal and illegal, can:
- Threaten biodiversity and risk losing endangered species forever
- Spread infectious disease to livestock and humans
- Cause needless suffering to animals, as well as humans.
Worldwide, 7,725 species of animals, from insects and birds to gorillas, elephants and reptiles, are considered at risk of extinction. That’s 20% of all known mammal species and 12% of known species of birds threatened with being lost forever.
IFAW protects animals from illegal wildlife trade through:
- Strengthening international agreements
- Training wildlife law enforcement officers
- Ending the illegal trade in tiger parts and elephant ivory
- Investigating Internet wildlife trafficking
- Educating consumers to reject products made from wildlife
- IFAW and INTERPOL, working together to fight wildlife crime