As the Europe Regional Director and the Netherlands Country Director, Joep leads a team of dedicated campaigners and philanthropy staff. Joep joined the IFAW team in July 2018.
Working closely with the three other country directors in Europe, Joep and the team works to influence their respective national Parliaments and Government agencies. They strive to strengthen and develop partnerships to increase animal conservation, welfare, and protection. With over 25 years of experience working in international development in rural livelihoods and small-holder livestock programs, Joep supports IFAW's community engagement programs and ensures close working relations across our networks.
Having previously worked in senior positions across a variety of leading animal charities in Europe, Joep is well versed in livestock welfare, livelihood development, and wildlife conservation. In his free time, he advises a holistic livelihood project in the Maasai Mara region where he helps people, livestock, and wildlife productively coexist.
Joep also coordinates a family estate on the border of Belgium and the Netherlands located in the national park called “De Kalmthoutse Heide”. This initiatives gives Joep first-hand experience working in landscape management and collaborating with locals to ensure sustainability for people and animals.
Joep has spoken frequently on a variety of animal related topics across all major TV, radio, and press networks. His major newspaper interview for IFAW can be found in Le Monde: "Consumers even don't know they are buying illegal ivory."
- IFAW Europe Regional Director/The Netherlands Country Director
- Wageningen University & Research; Senior Advisor
- Vétèrinaires Sans Frontières Belgium, CEO
- Heifer Nederland; Founder and CEO
- Heifer Cameroon; Deputy Country Director
- Heifer Project International; Coordinator Cameroon Small Scale Dairy Development
Wageningen University & Research, The Netherlands
- Master of Science (MSc)
- Major: Tropical Animal Husbandry (Zoötechniek)
- Minor: Natural Resource Management (Natuurbeheer)
Apart from a diversity of internal courses and workshops, the following external courses of 1-2 week are taken:
- Training of Trainers training, Delta Management, Thuin, NL
- EU project proposal writing/reporting training sessions; BE
- Financial management for non financial managers, MDF, NL
- Project cycles, Management for Development Foundation (MDF), NL
- Fund Raising, Fund Raising School, Vienna, AU
- Agro-Ecology Initiative, Heifer International, USA