A gift of stock can be a gift of life for animals in need
Donating stock to IFAW is a wonderful way to continue helping animals in need while maximizing your tax-deductible giving.
Stock gifts have several advantages over giving a cash donation:
- When you donate stock that has grown in value since you bought it, no capital gains tax is due
- You can give more to IFAW at less cost to yourself
- You can take a tax deduction for the full value of the stock
Please note that you should have owned the stock for at least one year and one day in order to be able to take the full deduction.
How to Donate Stock:
Step 1 – Contact IFAW
- Fill out this form IFAW Gift of Stock or contact Meg Canty at 888.251.0253 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide us with your name, address, phone number, the name of the stock, type of stock, number of shares, and the date you intend to make the gift. This ensures delivery and helps us provide you with the receipt you need for tax purposes.
Step 2a – Contact your broker for an electronic transfer
- Contact your broker to request for an electronic transfer of your stock to IFAW. Your broker will need the following transfer instructions:
1545 Iyanough Road
Hyannis, MA 02601
Contact: Deborah M. Gwizd, Senior Associate
DTC Routing Number: 5198
Account Number: 699-04122
Account Name: International Fund for Animal Welfare
Tax Id #: 31-1594197
You can also use this sample letter if you are reaching out to your broker via mail. IFAW's Sample Letter for Brokers
Step 2b – Mail Certificates if stocks are held by you
- If you hold a stock certificate and would like to donate it to IFAW, you will need to send one envelope containing all the certificates, and a separate envelope containing the stock power for each security. Below are detailed instructions:
Mail all certificates (without endorsing or assigning them) with a gift note to the address provided below.
Mail a stock power for each security in a separate envelope. Leave it blank except for your signature. Be sure to sign the power exactly as your name appears on the certificate.
International Fund for Animal Welfare
290 Summer Street
Yarmouth Port, MA 02675
The International Fund for Animal Welfare is a tax-exempt not-for-profit organization as described in section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Gifts and bequests are deductible for income, gift, and estate tax purposes to the extent allowed by law.