Seals photos & video
Resources to learn more about seals:
- Video answers to frequently asked questions
- Why commercial seal hunts are cruel
- Timeline of shrinking markets
- IFAW's briefing paper on the WTO
- An Amicus Brief filed with the WTO by Rob Howse from NYU School of Law
- Amici Curiae paper from IFAW and other NGOs
- Fact sheet: Ending Canada’s commercial seal hunt
It’s time for Canada’s commercial seal hunt to end.
Every spring, seal pups between 3 weeks and 3 months of age are brutally shot, clubbed and skinned. Their carcasses are left to rot on the ice or dumped into the ocean.
Seals are dying needlessly for an industry that wouldn’t exist but for government subsidies. Most of the world no longer needs or wants seals products. Still the killing continues.
Canada’s new Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, has a historic opportunity to end the commercial seal hunt once and for all.
Please take action today to save seals.
Tell Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Hunter Tootoo to develop a plan to buy out commercial sealing licenses, and end the commercial seal hunt now.
A quick note from you today can help save seals. We have prepared a template email for you to send as is, or with your own respectful comments.