Investment policy: ethical mandate
IFAW is deeply conscious of the need to support its core values related to animal welfare through its investment policy. It is the intent of IFAW to avoid investing in companies or entities which are engaged in activities or business practices that are in conflict with IFAW’s animal welfare mission. IFAW staff, investment advisers and investment managers are all responsible for using their best efforts to support and uphold the ethical investing mandate. The mandate may not be changed or altered without an appropriate resolution of IFAW’s Board.
This policy specifically excludes investment in the following types of companies:
- Any companies involved in animal testing
- Companies involved in animal husbandry
- Meat packing or processing
- The production or sale of fur or leather
- Companies that use animals in laboratory research
- Any companies that have been found to violate animal welfare laws
- Companies involved in the manufacture or supply of equipment used in the hunting
- or trapping of animals
This policy encourages investment in companies that are following best practices in the conservation and animal welfare arenas.