Waiting hopefully on injured ele Dhara, displaced from her herd during massive flooding in India

Dhara gets an x-ray. Credit: IFAW/S.BarbaruahDhara, an elephant calf, came to us on June 28th.

Dhara is one of thousands of wild animals stricken by the deadly monsoon season we’re experiencing in the northeast Indian state of Assam.

I may have already seen hundreds of baby elephants, but seeing our International Fund for Animal Welfare and Wildlife Trust of India veterinarians taking an x-ray image of an elephant calf was truly a rare sight.

Dhara is now being cared for at IFAW’s Wildlife Rescue Center in the outskirts of Kaziranga National Park. The x-ray showed that Dhara is suffering from a knee dislocation on her left front leg.

She is about eight months old, and was found alone.

We believe she was displaced from her herd during the floods in the park.

An iron-reinforced cast was fixed on her leg to immobilize the joint for the next 21 days. The vets at the Center will review the wound after the stipulated time to see the progress.

In the meantime the calf is being looked after by the vets, animal keepers and two volunteers from the UK. They provide the calf with milk nine times a day and a healthy dose of food supplements.

Dhara pokes her head out of the nursery building. Credit: IFAW/S.BararuahDhara is very active despite the pain in her leg. She always keeps on exploring the enclosure and tries to climb up to the window to peep through and see if there is someone out there with food. And when the food comes she starts shouting out impatiently.

She looks awfully cute throwing baby tantrums to her keepers.

Even though she’s just a little calf, I felt that it was an elephantine task to tranquilize it, transport it to the center’s clinic, X ray her and fit an iron cast on her leg.

Now we’re all waiting for the 21st day of treatment when the vets will remove the cast to see the progress. I hope she regains her strength and is able to walk freely soon.

Stay tuned for more updates on Dhara coming soon. Many have asked how they can help support our efforts, and you can do so by donating here.

--SB

CORRECTION: Dhara was found alone inside the park and not hit by a car. - ED

Thanks for all you do, Dhara's adorable!

May God bless you all for the wonderful things you do to help all animals! I would just like to give you a pat on the back and say " THANK YOU!" from the bottom of my heart. I know all of the animals that you help are truly grateful to you too!

Hooray for Dhara and IFAW!!

I want to take care of that bb elephant,I am sure she feels lost and sad and confused,pray she is reunited with her family, untill than give her lots of love and food and one on one time..PLz!

Wow the joy this brings to me and the tears that follow,I am a animal lover have been all my life,I do not know why but I have always have a connection with animals that others could not,prehaps it is a gift from God,I have always had more of a connection with Gods' creations than humans,sad but true,I so wish I could have some hands on with these animals,to care,protect,and give love too,maybe another time in life or one here after if there is one,God Willing....On the other hand I am so thankful that the little amount I contribute each month will make a difference.Aw Bless wish I could be in the little home dhara is in to stay with her till she heals,for company and love.God Willing, she will be so happy when she has healed and realizes that you and your crew are taking care of her,what a wonderful thing you all are doing........n to think she may one day be returned to her family.What a very special day that will be......

This is so nice to see and hear. I donated to her and reading this really makes me feel like I had a special part in her recovery.
Thanks for posting this article! She is so cute!
Jeanette

Thank you so much for helping her and the other elephants. They truly are incredible! We need more people like you. I hope that her healing will continue and that she will go on to have a very happy, long life.

heal soon, live long and live well, precious pachyderm♥

Aww wow Dhara is so amazing! I will keep her in my prayers. I Pray that she will get well soon and for a speedy recovery for her! God bless you Dhara!

Thank you for caring for these wonderful. intelligent beings. They make our planet a better place to live and I hope and pray more people value them.