UPDATE: Extending a Lifeline to Animals at Libya's Tripoli Zoo

A lion in the Tripoli Zoo.

Despite the incredible challenges surrounding relief efforts in Libya at the moment, International Fund for Animal Welfare aid managed to reach the Tripoli Zoo just yesterday. The much-awaited confirmation came to us from our staff member Hedia Baccar currently in Tunisia. Hedia has been in constant communication with the Zoo’s Director Dr. Abdel Fattah to identify the pressing needs animals are facing.

The critical life line that IFAW has been able to establish will address priority number one which is providing food to the more than 1000 animals that survive in the zoo.

As many of you have probably seen in the news, the zoo is adjacent to Gadhafi’s former compound of Bab al-Aziziya in the heart of Tripoli. This was the scene of recent fighting in which the NATO-backed National Transitional Council (NTC) rebels took control of the city.

Lions, hyenas, hippos, deer, monkeys and many other animals survived the cross-fire but were left with the consequences of war. It didn’t take long for crisis to set in: fearing for their lives, many of the zoo’s staff abandoned the area, the food and water supply channels disappeared and extended power outages in the city disabled the zoo’s refrigerators which kept veterinary medications cool under the scorching heat.

IFAW emergency funds have started to help cover the estimated $2,000 dollars a day needed to keep the animal fed. Fortunately, according to information received in the last 24hrs, animals have enough water to drink. At the moment we are working hard to get animal medicines into Tripoli and are in close contact with other animal welfare organizations and the zoo community to provide long-term support for these animals.

We have experience in dealing with crisis like the one that Tripoli is facing right now but every situation is different. Although we recently assisted the Tunis Zoo and animal protection groups active during the uprising in Egypt, this response presents several new challenges. Back in 2003 we deployed a five-person team to the Baghdad Zoo and worked for weeks to ensure the well-being of more than 400 animals. While similarities exist, security in Libya is still a major concern when considering deploying teams. After all, the war is not over.

Today we’ve taken an important step in the right direction and for the animals at the Tripoli Zoo, we hope the worst of their days have passed.

-- IR

Please go to www.ifaw.org and donate to help the animals at the Tripoli Zoo.

As recommended by Lisa Gibbs, please coordinate with Dr. Jalal Kaal who is an experienced veterinarian and knows everything there is to know about caring for animals in Libya from the medical to the political. I lived in Libya for three years until evacuated due to the war and can't say enough good about Dr. Jalal ! Inshallah, that he is well and I hope to see him again. IFAW thanks for what you are doing.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP THOSE BEAUTIFUL ANIMALS .
WE SHOULD LEARN FROM HERE . ZOO SHOULD NOT EXIST . PERIOD !!!! POOR ANIMALS ARE IN CEGES , IF WAR OR NATURAL DISASTER , THEY WILL DIE IN SLOW HORRIBLE DEATH .

THANK YOU AGAIN WHO HELPING THOSE POOR ANIMALS TRAPPED INSIDE , WHEN STUPID HUMAN RACE CANNOT STOP WARS !!! STOP WARS ON THIS PLANET .

I donate all the time but certainly not enough but all that I can afford.I hope those with the means can donate large sums.Pat Sterling

Thank goodness. Someone does care!!!

Hi, best thing to do is to either post one in with a note saying its for Tripoli or you can call your local office depending on which country you are in.

David:Get hold of Dr. Jala Kaal on Fb. He can get access to zoo .they need food, Medicine especiall enrichment for the animals. Please coordinate with Jalal Kaal

Thank you for all your help for the animals. As I humbly sit at home feeling that their situation is awful I hope you will forgive me for leaving all this work to you! Be assured that you are doing a fantastic job, one that is often forgotten in the ravages of war and unrest but one many of us feel is of equal importance to saving the human population. I will send money ASAP.

I am a security professional and worked in Tripoli for 2 years, I know the area well and the route in from the Tunisian boarder. I would be happy to help anyone with the support of theses animals either by a security review or by escorting people on the ground once I feel it is safe to do so.

How do I earmark my donation for the Libyan Zoo? I love all animals, and I am a regular donor, but can I specify my designation for the zoo?

Thanks for your comments and concerns. I am a member of IFAW and have made a contribution for help these poor animals get the help they need. I am trying to find a way to get more action from possibly the United Nations and or my Congressperson and or Senator and or possibly even an Actor like Sandra Bullock or Keanu Reeves whom support many great causes. Try to get the word out to as many people you can reach, thanks again. M. Candelaria