Dr. David M. Lavigne
David Lavigne began conducting research on seals in 1969, the year IFAW was formed. Over the years, his research interests have shifted from environmental physiology, to population biology, wildlife management, conservation biology, and natural resources policy. He is currently focusing on interactions among humans, other species, and the environment, including issues surrounding ecological sustainability and sustainable development; the scientific evaluation of proposals to cull wild animals; the effects of climate change on animals and the biosphere; the relationship between animal welfare and conservation; and the politics of conservation.
David has served on numerous international scientific committees, and has appeared before various parliamentary committees in Canada, Belgium and the European Union. He has also testified before committees in the US congress and at the Council of Europe. He has lectured widely, from North America and the European Union to Australia, Norway, and South Africa, and is frequently invited to speak at international conferences. His talk at the 6th International Conference on Environmental Future, held at Newcastle University, UK in 2011, was entitled, “Environmental conservation needs a new, interdisciplinary paradigm.”
- Member, Working group on the Animal Welfare Aspects of the Killing and Skinning of Seals, European Food Safety Authority
- Executive Director, International Marine Mammal Association
- Professor, Department of Zoology, University of Guelph, Canada3
- Member, Pinniped Fishery Interaction Task Force on Sea Lion/Steelhead Conflict, National Marine Fisheries Service, USA
- Member, International Scientific Advisory Committee, Hellenic Society for the Study and Protection of the Mediterranean Monk Seal (MOm)
- Member, Steering Committee, European Commission/IUCN Spanish Monk Seal Project
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, Marine Mammals Action Plan, United Nations Environment Programme
- Member, Seal Specialist Group, World Conservation Union (IUCN)
- Bachelor of Science (BSc), Zoology, University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Master of Science (MSc), Zoology, University of Guelph, Canada,
- PhD, Zoology, University of Guelph, Canada
- Dr philos, Biology, University of Oslo, Norway
- Lavigne , D.M. 2009. Harp Seal Pagophilus groenlandicus.. pp. 542-546. In W.F. Perrin, B. Würsig, and J.G.M. Thewissen (eds.). Encyclopedia of Marine Mammals. Second Edition. Elsevier, San Diego.
- Lavigne, D.M. (ed.). 2006. Gaining Ground: In Pursuit of Ecological Sustainability. International Fund for Animal Welfare, Guelph, Canada; and Univeristy of Limerick, Limerick Ireland.
- Lavigne, D.M. 2006. Wildlife Conservation and the Pursuit of Ecological Sustainability: A Brief Introduction. pp. 1-18. In D.M. Lavigne (ed.). Gaining Ground: In Pursuit of Ecological Sustainability. International Fund for Animal Welfare, Guelph, Canada, and University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland.
- Lavigne, D.M., R. Kidman Cox, V. Menon, and M. Wamithi. 2006. Reinventing wildlife conservation for the 21st Century. pp. 379-425. In D.M. Lavigne (ed.). Gaining Ground: In Pursuit of Ecological Sustainability. International Fund for Animal Welfare, Guelph, Canada, and University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland.
- Lavigne, D.M. 2005. Reducing the Agricultural Eco-Footprint: Reflections of a Neo-Darwinian Ecologist. pp. 119-166. In A. Eaglesham, A. Wildeman, and R.W.F. Hardy (eds.). Agricultural Biotechnology: Finding Common International Goals. National Agricultural Biotechnology Council Report 16. NABC, Ithaca, NY. Available at http://nabc.cals.cornell.edu/ pubs/nabc_16/talks/lavigne_corrected.pdf.
- Lavigne, D.M. 2003. Marine Mammals and Fisheries: The Role of Science in the Culling Debate. pp. 31-47. In N. Gales, M. Hindell and R, Kirkwood (eds.). Marine Mammals: Fisheries, Tourism and Management Issues. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, Victoria, Australia.
- Lavigne, D.M. 2002. Ecological footprints, doublespeak, and the evolution of the Machiavellian mind. pp. 63-91. In W. Chesworth, M.R. Moss, and V.G. Thomas [eds]. Sustainable Development: Mandate or Mantra? The Kenneth Hammond Lectures on Environment, Energy and Resources. 2001 Series. Faculty of Environmental Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Canada.
- Lavigne, D.M., V.B. Scheffer, and S.R. Kellert. 1999. The evolution of North American attitudes toward marine mammals. pp 10-47. In J.R. Twiss Jr. and R.R. Reeves (eds.). Conservation and Management of Marine Mammals. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington and London.
- Lavigne, D.M. 1999. The Hawaiian Monk Seal: Management of an Endangered Species. pp. 246-266. In J.R. Twiss Jr. and R.R. Reeves (eds.). Conservation and Management of Marine Mammals. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington and London.
- Ragen, T.J. and D.M. Lavigne. 1999. The Hawaiian Monk Seal: Biology of an Endangered Species. pp. 224-245. In J.R. Twiss Jr. and R.R. Reeves (eds.). Conservation and Management of Marine Mammals. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington and London.
- Lavigne, D.M., C.J. Callaghan, and R.J. Smith. 1996. Sustainable Utiliization: The Lessons of History. pp 250-265. In V.J. Taylor and N. Dunstone (eds.). The Exploitation of Mammal Populations. Chapman and Hall, London.
- Lavigne, D.M. and K.M. Kovacs. 1988. Harps &Hoods: Ice-breeding seals of the Northwest Atlantic. University of Waterloo Press, Waterloo, Ontario.
- Beddington, J.R., R. Beverton, and D.M. Lavigne (eds). 1985. Marine Mammals and Fisheries. George Allen and Unwin Ltd., London
- Cooke, J., R. Leaper, P. Wade, D. Lavigne and B. Taylor. 2012. Management rules for marine mammal populations: a response to Lonergan. Marine Policy, 36:389-392.
- Lavigne, D.M. and W.S. Lynn. 2011. Canada’s commercial seal hunt: It’s more than a matter of humane killing. Journal of Animal Ethics, 1:1-5.
- Leaper, R., D.M. Lavigne, P. Corkeron, and D. Johnston. 2010. Towards a precautionary approach to managing Canada’s commercial harp seal hunt. ICES Journal of Marine Science 67: 316-320. Available at http://icesjms.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/67/2/316 .
- Kirkman, S.P. and D.M. Lavigne. 2010. Assessing the hunting practices of Namibia’s commercial seal hunt. South African Journal of Science 106:3/4, Art. #166. 3pp. Available at http://www.sajs.co.za/index.php/SAJS/article/viewArticle/166/211.
- Lavigne, D.M. 2010. CITES alone cannot solve the elephant crisis. Gajah – the Journal of the IUCN/SSC Asian Elephant Specialist Group, 32:74-79.
- Leaper, R. and D.M. Lavigne. 2008. How much do large whales eat? J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 9(3):13-22.
- Johnston, D.W., A.S. Friedlaender, L. Torres, and D. Lavigne. 2005. Variation in sea ice cover on the east coast of Canada from 1969 to 2002: Climate variability and implications for harp and hooded seals. Climate Research, 29:209-222.