Wildlife trade photos & video
Wildlife trade experts
The dangers of wildlife trade
The global wildlife trade, legal and illegal, can:
- Threaten biodiversity and risk losing endangered species forever
- Spread infectious disease to livestock and humans
- Cause needless suffering to animals, as well as humans.
Worldwide, 7,725 species of animals, from insects and birds to gorillas, elephants and reptiles, are considered at risk of extinction. That’s 20% of all known mammal species and 12% of known species of birds threatened with being lost forever.
IFAW protects animals from illegal wildlife trade through:
- INTERPOL-IFAW Project Web targets EU online wildlife crime
- China: New Year’s anti-consumer campaign
- China & Africa transnational crackdown on wildlife crime
- IFAW and INTERPOL, working together to fight wildlife crime
- Elephants & Tigers : protecting species from exploitation
- Our work in China: an overview